PEARTREE LIFE: Experiencing Languages

English idioms to use in the Autumn

October is here and I honestly can’t believe that we only have a few months until Christmas and the end of the year. But, before all the hussle and bustle of buying presents, Christmas decoration, and booking Christmas dinners, we will go through probably my favourite season of the year, Autumn!



After I completely abandoned the idea of having two months of Summer holiday (that is how much summer holidays last if you are a Slovakian kid) when I became an adult, I stopped being a big fan of Summer. I mean, it is great that the days are longer and the weather hot, but how can I enjoy it if I spend most of the days at work? Exactly, I can’t! And let's be honest, the days are sometimes too hot and the UK is just not ready for coping with weather like this. Therefore, Autumn slightly got on the first place in my heart amongst other seasons. The sun is still shining and the days are relatively warm, although sometimes, you need to wear a warm jacket, scarves or hats, and good waterproof shoes. On days like these, you can go for a long walk on the coast when it is not too hot, but everything is amazingly green and the air is just crispy and fresh. Of course all this is great, when it is not rainy, but even then the autumn rain has a certain charm.

We shouldn’t forget about improving our English language in Autumn, therefore, I have found some useful autumn themed English idioms that you can learn and could be used to describe our feelings, new beginnings, or for explaining somebody’s behaviour.


The apple never falls far from the tree 

Used when someone has characteristics similar to their relatives or parents; when someone behaves just like their relatives or parents.
Example: Did you hear that Dr. Klein's daughter Molly is majoring in Biology? I guess the apple never falls far from the tree. 

To drive someone nuts 

To make someone feel crazy; to exasperate someone; to make someone feel annoyed. (Similar expressions: to drive someone crazy, to drive someone bonkers, to drive someone up a wall)
Example: My children always drive me nuts when they are tired and in a bad mood. 

To turn over a new leaf 

To begin again; to start anew; to reform; to refresh.
Example: Apparently, he's turned over a new leaf and he's not smoking any more. 


Save for a rainy day 

To reserve something (usually money) for a future need. (Similar expressions: to put something away for a rainy day, to keep something for a rainy day)
Example: I know you want to buy a new TV with your bonus, but you should really save that money for a rainy day. I save a portion of my wages each month for a rainy day. 


To feel/be under the weather 

To feel ill; unwell.
Example: I'm feeling a bit under the weather - I think I'm getting a cold. 

To get wind of something 

To learn of or hear about something; to learn about something secret; to hear a piece of information that was supposed to be a secret.
Example: If Mom gets wind of this prank we're planning, we'll be grounded for the rest of the summer. 

Sources:
https://www.speakconfidentenglish.com/7-idioms-autumn/ https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/under-the-weather https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/ Many thanks and enjoy your autumn!
Share on Google Plus

About Peartree Languages

Peartree Languages is a language school located in Cardiff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment