PEARTREE LIFE: Experiencing Languages

Visit to Big Pit and Blaenavon Ironworks written by our student, Margherita

Hello everyone! Big Pit, Blaenavon and the Owl Sanctuary. By Margherita Bosi. 

Today, I want to talk about the fantastic experience that I did last Saturday at the Big Pit mine. Unfortunately, the weather was not the best, it was very cold, both outside and inside the mine but it was a new experience that I had never had the opportunity to do.

Looking like miners - I'm second from the right
Arrived in the mine, they made us to wear protective helmets and belts with a small survival kit and a torch battery. We went down to 90 meters below ground through an elevator that used the same miners. The guide, also a miner, explained how the mine worked at the time and if there was an accident like trying to get out unharmed. At one point he made us turn off all the torches to make us understand what the total darkness meant. He drove us for a long stretch of mine and eventually we went up to the surface where we saw the foundry, the various locker rooms and the miners' showers. Basically a guided exhibition in history.


We had an hour to eat and we went to the Blaenavon Ironworks, an ancient metal foundry also called "hell". In the farthest part of the foundry there is a tower of the past, inside there were two lifts and some of my friends and I decided to climb up to see the view from above. We saw the various workers' quarters and from the 1920s to the 1960s.

My friend handling birds of prey
And then we went to the Festival Park Owl Sanctuary where we had the opportunity to see rare birds of prey and the luck of being able to keep some on the arm.

Personally, I enjoyed this day, especially the visit to the Owl Sanctuary because I like animals and I must say that I am very happy to have done these experiences that will enrich my cultural knowledge.

 
Share on Google Plus

About Peartree Languages

Peartree Languages is a language school located in Cardiff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment