PEARTREE LIFE: Experiencing Languages

What is your favourite book? What have you been reading lately?

When I am not learning a new language or singing, you will definitely find me reading a book. I’ve enjoyed reading since I was little and it is one of my biggest passions. Why?



First of all because it is fun and entertaining and it is a great activity for every mood. Thanks to books I learnt a lot of new things, I got to know new places, different opinions and diverse perspectives on life. My favourite quotes about reading are “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one,” by George R.R. Martin, author of ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series, usually known as ‘A Game of Thrones’, as well as “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” by Dr. Seuss, author of comic books and stories such as ‘How the Grinch stole Christmas!’.

Sometimes, reading helps us to understand that there are people around the world who are similar to us. Most of the times I end up sharing a book’s protagonist’s pain, sorrow or happiness and I feel like I have acquired a new friend. William Nicholson, author of the ‘Wind on Fire’ series, actually says that “We read to know we're not alone.”

My favourite genres are fantasy and magic realism and of course my favourite book series of all time is the ‘Harry Potter’ series. I read it when I was eleven and I remember waiting for my Hogwarts letter as well! Another middle-grade read I really enjoyed was thePercy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan.
It is a really witty and funny story about Percy, son of Poseidon, living a normal teenager life but still fighting the evil monsters of greek mythology. Thanks to these books I did very well at school when learning about greek literature and I can’t recommend them enough!

As I grew up, my taste in books slightly changed and I ended up enjoying different genres as well, ‘The Maze Runner’ by James Dashner.
such as dystopian, classics, contemporary and historical fiction. My favourite dystopian series is
Thomas, wakes up in a lift, with no memory at all, only to discover that he, and a group of boys, are confined in a valley surrounded by a ever-changing maze, the only way out. There are a lot of political elements and intriguing events that kept me on the edge of my seat!

A great classic novel I really enjoyed is The Sorrows of Young Werther by JW von Goethe. Visiting an idyllic German village, Werther, a sensitive and romantic young man, meets and falls in love with sweet-natured Lotte. Although he realizes that Lotte is about to marry Albert, he is unable to subdue his passion for her, and his infatuation torments him to the point of absolute despair.

As for historical fiction, my recommendations would be Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys, which tells the story of a Lithuanian family deported together with hundreds of other families to Siberia by the Soviet Union during World War II. It is a novel about love, friendship, hope and strength, it will steal your breath and capture your heart.

Another wonderful book is ‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak. Set during World War II in Germany, it is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

My go-to place to find more about books and new releases is www.goodreads.com where you can ‘Read 100 books in a Year’ which I am trying to complete myself!
share opinions on your favourite reads, rate books and read other peoples reviews. There are groups, discussions, recommendations and challenges, such as

Another way to catch up on books is Youtube. The “BookTube” community is full of awesome people who share the same passion: reading. They review books, they talk about what they read in a month and what they are planning to read next. It gets me really excited to know that I am not alone and it is a very funny and entertaining way to keep up with the news.

Reading books with a parallel text in English and your first language is also an excellent way to improve your language skills through expressions, idioms and turns of phrase.

A great way to improve your English is to read your favourite book in English!

My favourite BookTubers are @abooktuopia, @hailey hearts nyc, @jessethereader and @peruseproject!




Written by Ana Polisciuc 

Tereza is recommending “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” by Louis de Bernieres and anything by Terry Pratchett and Nicky’s favourite book is “Pompeii” by Robert Harris.

New vocabulary!  
fantasy: a genre of imaginative fiction involving magic and adventure, especially in a setting other than the real world.
magic realism: a literary or artistic genre in which realistic narrative and naturalistic technique are combined with surreal elements of dream or fantasy. dystopian: an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.
historical fiction: movies and novels in which a story is made up but is set in the past and sometimes borrows true characteristics of the time period in which it is set.
classics: a work of art of recognized and established value
Share on Google Plus

About Peartree Languages

Peartree Languages is a language school located in Cardiff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment