PEARTREE LIFE: Experiencing Languages

Autumn Rugby Internationals 2017

If you went to Rome, would you skip seeing the Colosseum? Probably not. So it doesn’t really matter if you like rugby or not, but seeing a match in Cardiff, Wales is a must. Why? Firstly, it is a national sport. Secondly, 90% of the souvenirs you can buy here are rugby related and thirdly, it would be a very unique experience for you. Last but not least, it is November and the Rugby Internationals 2017 are about to start! Now, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and sit comfortably, please, so you can read something more about it.


Autumn Rugby Internationals 2017 started in the first week of November with the games of Japan vs. Australia and Barbarians vs. New Zealand with the victories of Australia and New Zealand. In the next four Saturdays, there will be more rugby matches and four of them will take place in Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium.

The most accessible and the cheapest to experience rugby for the first time would be on Saturday 18th November when Wales will face Georgia at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff during the 2017 Under Armour Series. This will be the second of four autumn internationals to be played by Wales in 2017. It will be the first time that Wales have played Georgia in a rugby test match. Tickets for the Wales vs. Georgia autumn international match are priced from £20 (Cat B) to £35 (Cat A) plus booking fees. Tickets are being sold via the WRU's official online ticket office (powered by Ticketmaster). Tickets are also available via the WRU's official resale marketplace (Seatwave) but ticket prices may be higher than face value.

What do you need before attending the game so it can be more fun? The rules! The game is played with two teams, each consisting of fifteen players. It lasts 80 minutes, divided into two 40-minute halves with a 10 minute break in the middle. The target is to score as many points as possible. The teams can run with the ball, kick it and pass it, but throwing it forwards is not allowed (they can only throw it backwards). Rugby is a contact sport, so the players can tackle an opponent in order to get the ball, as long as they stay within the rules - if they don’t the other team is given a chance to score three points by penalty. Five points are awarded for touching the ball down in the opponent's goal area - this is called a try. The team scoring the greater number of points is the winner of the match. There exist plenty of other terms you might be interested in and you can find a whole dictionary of them on Wikipedia. Would you like to know how’s the relation of our international staff to rugby? Keep on reading then : )

Barbora, Czech Republic: “When I came to Wales I could only say about rugby that it is very weird violent sport and I didn’t want to waste my money on any match. But the longer I have been here, the more my curiosity about it raised. Also the fact that I was living with a rugby fan Welsh family added to it. They watched few matches at TV shouting at the players and at first I had rather left the house than watching it too but then I tried to watch one match with them in which they had explained me the most important rules. In another occasion I understood the game better and it became fun watching it. Last Saturday, my Welsh host family invited me for a match in Cardiff Arms Park and it was amazing! I really enjoyed the game and by the end of it I knew all the Rugby terms. Although I felt very sorry for Italian Zebre team which didn’t have any chance against Cardiff Blues, I celebrated Cardiff’s victory. My next plan? Visit Millennium stadium for an international rugby game!”

Tereza, Slovakia: “Rugby is one of my favorite sports to watch (with ice-hockey, basketball, and fencing). I wasn't a big fan of rugby as we don't have a sport like this in Slovakia and the first time I saw a rugby match was actually here, in Wales a good few years ago. I can't really say, why I like it so much. I think it is because of the atmosphere that is created by this sport and the fans in the city center. Everybody is there, supporting their country or favorite rugby club and what I like is that people are just nice to each other no matter what the result of the match is. There are no fights between the fans, no mockery or rude gestures. I have seen some matches at the Principality stadium and it is just nice to see fans of Wales singing, cheering and applauding together with fans of the other team. But what I like most is actually the game itself. It may seem that rugby is very hard and cruel game (and actually is), but I like how these big men are polite and respectful to each other, to the rules and especially to the referee. And if there is one thing that can completely improve the whole vision of rugby for me, it is the Haka dance. After seeing New Zealand doing their Haka in the world Championship, I needed to find out more about this dance and since then New Zealand along with Wales are my favorite rugby teams. I can't wait to watch their match on 25th November and I will be definitely supporting both teams with my friends.”


Have we convinced you to give it a try and visit a rugby match? Are you planning to watch it on TV or live in the stadium? Let us know about your rugby plans in the comments. If you are keen on seeing any of the rugby matches just come to the WRU (Welsh Rugby Union) on Westgate street, where you can buy your tickets or do it online. Don't forget to share with us your experience!

Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to never miss a post!


Share on Google Plus

About Peartree Languages

Peartree Languages is a language school located in Cardiff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment