PEARTREE LIFE: Experiencing Languages

10 Lords a Leaping!

Nicky Partridge, Centre Manager
Do you know about the 12 days of Christmas? This popular Christmas song is the reason our school
is called ‘Peartree’ as according to the rhyme on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a Partridge in a Peartree. (my family name is Partridge). Anyone who knows me understands very clearly that Peartree is truly one of the great loves of my life!

Now, following on from the first day of Christmas it seems quite appropriate to jump (or leap) forward to day number 10 when my true love gave to me, 10 Lords a Leaping! Why ten? Well, in case you don’t know, this year our lovely Peartree is 10 years old! I am not sure I would choose leaping lords to celebrate, but we could replace them with students, although we would have to make space as we have a lot more than 10. In fact, this year we
have seen record numbers of learners passing through our doors and we are very proud of the fact that we have achieved a 100% recommendation rate this year!!

It has been a year of growth and of change. We really enjoyed our second year of running a seasonal summer centre for juniors in a new location and we are already making plans for a bigger and longer programme next year. At our year-round building we have been upgrading the classroom technology, while running more classes than ever. We have had wonderfully sociable students, fantastic host families and very motivated Interns. We were of course sad to say goodbye to Dan and Tristan in September, but delighted to welcome back Ann from Hong Kong and we are really looking forward to meeting lots of new faces - staff and students, in 2016!


Of course, the 10 year milestone has also provoked plenty of reflection for me personally. When I opened the school I had no idea of where this journey would take me. Sometimes it’s difficult, that is true. But for me I cannot explain the satisfaction that it gives me to be able to meet and share my life with so many amazing people from all over the world! It is like travelling every day, to a new country, without ever leaving home. That must be the perfect combination! I know that my job is to teach people a new language, but sometimes I feel that the real student, all these years, has actually been me and I feel a great privilege to be able to live this experience. Life is certainly never boring!

Peartree Languages celebrated 10 years in September 2015!
It is also necessary to mention the other members of our team, not only our teachers and staff but also our interns, host families, agent partners, neighbours and friends. Thank you most sincerely for your contribution to our school and for allowing us to be part of the community of Cardiff. No person is an island and Peartree would certainly never have reached this amazing point without the hard work and dedication of many people.


Finally, despite the continual bad news from our governments and media about the troubles we experience in our world, everyday for the last ten years I have witnessed that in fact the vast majority of people, not matter where they come from, what language they speak or what religion they believe simply want to live in peace and learn from each other. The most amazing gifts I have personally received from Peartree are hope and knowledge, simply priceless.

Thank you and a very Merry Christmas! See you in 2016!


Share on Google Plus

About Peartree Languages

Peartree Languages is a language school located in Cardiff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment